Your computer must have at least 4GB of main memory (RAM) and the operating system must be 64-bit. If your computer does not meet these requirements, considering getting a VPS (virtual private server) for mining. [ Here is a recommended VPS service.]
Download STHCOIN wallet.
Double-click the downloaded wallet and install it.
Just use the default settings. Nothing needs to be changed during installation.
Run the wallet and wait for the synchronization to complete.
It will take a couple hours to synchronize for the first run. Afterwards, it will start much faster.
Open a terminal.
Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, type Terminal in the search field, then click Terminal.
Run the mining command.
In the terminal terminal window, type the following command (as one single line) then press the Enter Key. When typing, replace “xxx” with the number of blocks you would like to mine.
/Applications/Sthcoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/sthcoin-cli -rpcport=8332 -rpcuser=sthcoinuser -rpcpassword=sthcoinpassword -rpcclienttimeout=2000000000 generate xxx 2000000000
- The first time you run the command, it will stop immediately. You must then go to “System Preferences” => “Security & Privacy” => “General” and click “Allow Anyway” to allow it to run.
- The command has no output until a block is mined. You have to be patient.
- Every time a block is mined successfully, a hash value will be displayed in the command line window, such as [“0000addf16c5fbf022f947c8c180d4498816475227082a2c7e778f7b1 dedb43d”]
- The more miners out there, the longer it takes to mine a block. If there are N miners, the average time to mine a block successfully is 2N minutes. Again, please use patience.
- If you want to mine with more than one thread (if you know what that is), open more command line windows and run the above command in each window. (Note: Don’t overdo it or your computer will stop responding.)
Repeat Step 5 if the mining command ends.
That is it! Enjoy mining!
The following step is OPTIONAL. It can speed up synchronization and should be done after Step 2 and before Step 3. However, if you have trouble doing it, skip this.
Download the zipped data file from https://github.com/sthc/sthcoin/releases/download/v0.17.1.1/blockchain-data.235131.zip and unzip it to
/Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/Sthcoin